from the closet to the rooftop: coming to terms with being gay, married, and Mormon.

Monday, November 26, 2012

Monday Schmonday


My wife now knows more about me than she ever has before. It was a long and emotionally draining weekend as we discussed it all. She hasn't read my blog, but we talked about most everything I've posted on here. The timing was sooner than expected, but once the ball starts rolling it's hard to stop it. I don't know how all this will resolve, but complete honesty has got to be established if we are to build up from here.

On another note, this weekend I found out that one of my good friends and former roommates has come out of the closet. I've always had my suspicions about him. I don't think it's fair to assume that just because a guy has all the mannerisms that he is automatically gay, but with some people you just know. He didn't make any sort of announcement, but I figured it was a safe assumption once I saw the pictures of him and another gorgeous man on each other's facebook profiles. I am extremely happy for him, and I made sure to tell him so. It's safe to say that if I was single and had reached the level of acceptance and development that I have now, I would be coming out to my family and looking for men to date. So seeing my friend reach that point leaves my gut feeling stabbed with regret.

But when I think about it, I can imagine that if I were in his shoes I would have similar feelings of regret every time I saw baby pictures from my friends on facebook. Life is full of tough choices, and there is always some sort of sacrifice that accompanies those choices. I'm playing the hand of cards that I was dealt, and I don't plan on reshuffling the deck anytime soon.

My life is a roller coaster. Maybe because I live with a woman. Or because I'm gay. Naw, I'm pretty sure it's both.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see that the two of you are beginning to work through this. Good things will come. You will end up being glad you got married, instead of hooking up with a guy. Trust me on that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Complete honesty is absolutely essential Derek. I think it's very wise of you to work with you wife doing this. Keep working at it man.

    ReplyDelete