from the closet to the rooftop: coming to terms with being gay, married, and Mormon.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

The Ugly Duckling: Gay Mormon Style


In my last post I mentioned that I wanted to become unburdened with unrealistic expectations for my marriage. I realize now that I'm not even fully sure that I know what that means. So I wanted to explore this a bit and see if anyone else had input on this subject.

My line of thinking is that I no longer want to live with a false sense of reality. I have been doing that for many years in my marriage. After initially coming out to my wife early on, we took some time to address the shock of it all, I went to some counseling, and things got a bit better. However, the reason things got better is because we learned how to avoid the topic of my homosexuality altogether. It was just too painful for both of us to deal with.

Allow me to explain my situation with a metaphor. You know the ugly duckling from the well-known children's story? That's me. The point when I came out to my wife was like saying, "I'm not like other ducks. I don't walk like, talk like, or swim like other ducks." This caused chaos and instability in my marriage. It seemed then that the most obvious solution to this problem was to walk the walk, talk the talk, and swim just as all the other ducks in the pond did. This went on for over two and a half years. I did most everything I could to be theI best duck possible.

But something still didn't feel right. Life as a duck felt too fake, too forced, and too scripted. I wondered why I couldn't just get the same joy out of life the way that other ducks did. Loneliness and isolation set in. With that came self hate and loathing. There were times I thought I would rather be dead than continue being the ugly duckling that I was.

Just when I reached an all-time low, I spotted a different flock. They did not walk like, talk like, or swim like other ducks. They were swans, and I was scared of them. Then one day as I was looking at my reflection in the water came the realization: I am not an ugly duckling. I too am a swan.
With this realization came a flood of emotions. I was relieved that there was nothing wrong with me as I had thought all along. There was less shame in the way I walked and talked. I began to feel less pressure to continue the charade of acting like a duck. I even made friends with some swans and found that they were not as scary as I thought they were. However, this new realization was not without its difficulties. My duck wife was not sure she could remain married to a swan. My duck bishop ignored the fact that I am a swan, and simply told me that I was a bad duck. I felt as though there were no place for me in the duck pond, and I began to agonize over the thought of ever having to leave my nest of ducklings.

I've recently decided to commit myself to working on my marriage. By default that also means that I am staying in the Mormon duck pond. So what am I to do? How do I live without  the burden of unrealistic expectations? I cannot unlearn the fact that I am a swan. I cannot expect to be magically transformed into a duck. Do I continue acting like a fake duck? Do I act like a swan yet remain in the pond with the ducks? Is there any way of taking flight with the other swans? I don't know.

This blog post turned out much differently than I expected. I hadn't planned on carrying out that metaphor for so long. It just seems to fit the situation so well. This leaves me thinking: will I ever be at peace with myself? Is it ok to be a swan among ducks? Will I ever feel like an authentic swan? How can I find joy in staying in the duck pond?

4 comments:

  1. That's a very interesting analogy, and I really relate to the moment of realizing that you're not just a bad duck, but actually a swan. Whenever I heard guys talking about girls or had lessons on dating in priesthood or Sunday School, I always felt immensely guilty and like I was a "bad duck," but after going through this process, I've come to realize that I'm just something different all together, and all the guilt has lifted. It's not awkward for me anymore because I finally get that I'm just different. And the questions you ask at the end are very thought provoking, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're pigeonholing yourself in a big way. You don't have to choose between being a bad duck or a good swan, you get to pick what stereotypes you want to reinforce and which you want to break down. I'm a different person in a different situation than you, but I don't feel inauthentic when I act like a straight, normal Mormon guy because many of those stereotypes are what fit my personality best (aside from the occasional propensity to fall in love/lust with other dudes).

    You are in the situation you're in because of the decisions you made, for better or worse, and believe it or not, the real you is in the decisions you've made and the feelings you have, not in being either a duck or a swan. It's probably not much help to know that, because it still means that you might not feel like you fit in either place, but the joy will come when you feel comfortable in your own skin. Rooting for you dude!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GMP, I've been thinking about your comment. You have a point, this oversimplified analogy does box oneself in. Its so simple that I think it has failed to carry across the bulk of my concerns. I'm not hugely concerned with "walking the walk and talking the talk." Being gay is not just about having a few stereotypical behaviors and an occasional propensity to fall in love/lust with other dudes. It also results in me having unmet needs as a gay man in a MOM, and having a marriage that lacks in some key elements that exist in straight relationships. Also for me, staying in the church is not an issue of acting like a righteous priesthood holder. I've got deeper issues than that.

      If I were to rephrase some of those questions at the end I would say this:
      Will I ever be able to show authentic love and affection for my wife?
      Will I ever be able to truly meet her needs?
      Is it ok to stay in the church and keep/develop my unorthodox beliefs?
      Is following the Mormon plan of happiness really going to bring me happiness?

      Delete
  3. Welcome to the journey of finding out how to get your needs met as a gay man in a straight marriage. It's not an easy puzzle to solve, and there might not be a complete solution for either you or your wife.

    However, there is one thing you can rely on. Your Heavenly Father loves you and your wife, and if you put your trust in Him, He will show both of you the way to authentic happiness.

    ReplyDelete